Sunday, June 15, 2008

Keeping It All In Perspective

I am sitting here at my facility in NY. It is 6:30 am on Sunday (Father’s Day) writing this blog. It doesn't matter how well things are going at any given time. Life can spin you around like a top.

Earlier this week, I spent three days (Monday – Wednesday) at the speed academy with my video production guy shooting my new Ground Breaking Part 2. I was tired, but riding a high because of the excitement of seeing all the athletes train, shooting my video, plus preparing to travel back home to see my wife and kids. While I was in NY, my father, who has been not doing well health wise (to be 89 this August) took a turn for the worst. He was given about 3 weeks more to live. As I drove back to Indiana, I felt very anxious and excited to see my family, yet because of my father’s situation, I had a somber side to me. Because my trip was so short and because I knew I was coming back to NY in less than a week to spend most of the summer, I didn’t visit my Dad.

So, I arrived home Thursday night very excited to see my wife, two daughters and son. My daughters were just as excited to see me and let me know that they had big plans for me on Fathers Day. I was also extremely excited to get back because my oldest daughter, Jae, has a 3 day basketball camp to attend this up coming week and I couldn’t wait to take her. She couldn't wait for me to take her, either. With all this excitement I couldn't stop thinking of my father. I wanted to be there for him.

Friday morning my brother called me. He said the nurse told him to come quickly because my fathers had difficulty breathing and he was not doing well. My brother said he would call back to let me know how my father was doing once he saw him. My father has had many moments when it seemed like it would be his last, but he always pulls through. Our family joke was that he went way past 9 lives- he was a tough guy.

About 45 minutes later my brother called again and said, "Lee, dad just passed away."

I am sitting in NY at my speed academy on Father’s Day working on a few things, while my wife and kids are celebrating Father’s Day by themselves. My wife will take Jae to her basketball camp, and I will spend time with my brothers and sisters as we lay my father to rest.

Life is a Journey! I was a part of my father’s journey for the 42 years I've been alive. He had a great life and made all of my brothers and sisters lives great. He was married to my mother, who passed away in 1999, for 57 years. He was a tremendous leader having been a teacher, coach, athletic director, and administrator- combined 40 plus years.

Recently, he was honored by being named Whitehall High Schools first "Hall of Fame" inductee. He had lived his life as a proud member of Whitehall, a proud educator for the students of Whitehall, and he was a proud athlete for Whitehall. He was most proud to have raised his family in the community of Whitehall.

No matter how far I go in my professional life, or how many accomplishments I achieve, I will always be my fathers youngest son and most proud of that.

I love you Dad!

Lee

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lee,

My sympathy goes out to you and your family.

YOur father lives in you and will show himself everyday through your children. That is one of the benefits of why we were created the way we were.

God Bless you and Keep up the great Father work.

Dave Schmitz
www.resistancebandtraining.com

netballcoach said...

Lee,

I too have lost my dad.

I just want to wish you and your family the best memories for the future.

Francois

LT said...

Thank you to all for the kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to send your messages of support.

Lee

Anonymous said...

Lee,

I am sorry to hear of your tremendous loss and will remember you and your family in my prayers. Your perspective on life is inspiring and I know you will continue to be the legacy (as a father AND speed guy) that your dad would be proud of.

Thank you for all you do for the world of fitness!

Blessings,
Jackie