Sunday, February 22, 2009

Great Event!

Hey!

Let me tell you about a Great Event I just spoke at. This past weekend was the inaugural IYCA Summit in Louisville, KY. Although I was only able to attend for Friday due to coaching responsibilities (more on this later) it was a fantastic atmoshere.

I had the opportunity to meet some fantastic people. One of my favorite experiences at these seminars is when I get to meet the attendees and talk shop. There are so many fantastic coaches out there that are working their tails off to make a difference and I was proud to met several of them this weekend.

Brian Grasso, Nick Berry, Pat Rigsby and the rest of the IYCA staff put on a first class event. It is only going to grow from here on out.

The message of proper youth training is getting out in a big way but there is still much work to do. It is up to all of us to start educating parents, athletes, coaching, and trainers on proper training and coaching methods. It is a big job but little by little the impact will be felt.

Big Basketball Weekend

I left the IYCA Summit Friday night so I could be home and ready for my daughters basketball games. As much I loved the Summit nothing beats being with you kids on their big days. Jae, my oldest, had a game at 10am and Bailee, my 9 year old, had her first game at 2pm. Both teams did so well. I was so proud of my girls and all the girls. They played their hearts out.

Bailee and her team had their first game of the year. The girls were so excited and they couldn't wait. I think they were just as excited to put the uniforms on and ride the bus as a team- this is what makes young kids so special.

The girls played a team that has played much more basketball- they were more talented. But that was ok. Our girls went out and competed hard. I have a feeling from here on out these girls are going to keep getting better and better.

How Can We Improve These Girls In Sports

Hands down, my answer will always be; Improve them as athletes.

If they want to be a good tennis player, basketball. softball player, or track athlete- they have to become more coordinated, stronger, quicker, and more body control. This foundation of athleticism will allow the skills needed for the sport to be more effective.

Regardless of the sport the beginning of each practice should involve athletic movements; skipping, shuffling, retreating, jumping/landing techniques, first step quickness in all directions, and balance and agility training. This will set the girls up for a good practice.

What is important to understand is the exercises you do now will be like putting money in the bank for later. These skills will become more important as the athletes get older. They will help them through difficult times of development.

Don't mis-understand me...You need to practice the sports skills often. This is what will make you a better player as you grow in the sport. NO skills, No play! The key is to make the skills learned be more beneficial due to athletic ability.

So what ever you do, spend time making the younger girls better athletes so they can improve their overall game.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: During the IYCA I had so many people comment on how they enjoyed Ground Breaking 2. This is a 6 video set that is like having a complete program and system of training. If you want to check this out go to www.GroundBreaking2.com to see what it all about.

No comments: