Sunday, December 23, 2007

Another Year Older, But Still Quick as a Cat

You already know Bailee, my youngest daughter, had her 8Th birthday on the 18Th, well the 21st was my birthday. Yes, I am another year older but still feeling quick and agile. except for the other day when I was walking from my truck to the house an slipped on a patch of ice. I looked liked like it was my first day learning break dancing but had no rhythm- but I stayed on my feet!

Oh well, I turned 42 years young and really do still feel pretty young (Actually 42 is young. I don't like to hear people who are in their late 30's, 40's or 50's say "I'm getting old.", it is all how you perceive yourself- Don't think Old, think better) As most of you know in the profession of strength and conditioning, if you practice what you preach you can stay fit and healthy throughout your life.

I almost forgot. My Dog Snicker turned 3 on the December 6th as well. He was mad at me when he read the first post about Bailee and he didn't get mentioned. He is a big dog. He is a Golden Doodle mix (Stop laughing!) I know it's not as powerful sounding as a German Shepard, Husky, or a Pit Bull but he has really big feet and a deep voice. He is a good dog and is good to the girls so I think I will keep him.

Coaching youth basketball

I already mentioned that I am coaching my daughter Jae's basketball team at the local church. We have an early practice tomorrow and what I plan on doing for the second practice is introduce the triangle offense that the Chicago Bulls used to win 6 NBA championships with- Just kidding. What I really plan on doing is asking the girls some questions about defense and how they would guard an opponent. I want to know what they know. This will help me to know where to start. If the girls understand how to stand to guard their "man" with the ball then I can move along quicker and work on the technique of shuffling- so they can be quicker. I am also going to ask them some questions about where they should stand if their "man" doesn't have the ball. I want them to understand that defense is a team game and everyone needs to be aware of the ball and where it is and might be going.

I will do some fun games to help them understand these defensive concepts and then move on to some other skills like shooting, ball handling, and passing (I like to combine these skills as well because it helps the girls to adapt to the actual game better).

Now why would I do the defensive stuff first before the ball skills? Basically because I need their full attention and concentration during the most confusing part of practice- learning something new that is more detailed. If I waited until 10 minutes before the practice was over I would have a bunch of girls that are tired and not really focused. So by introducing the more detailed things at the beginning I can get better learning results.

Need to get moving along

I have several other projects I need to get done today to improve my business. I know I won't be doing much work on X-MASS day so I need to get ahead now, Plus I will be driving for 12 hours on the 26th to get back to NY for a couple weeks. So I am working real FAST today so those two days can be less stressful and much more enjoyable- especially spending X-MASS with my family.

Have a wonderful Holiday!

Yours in Speed,

Lee

No comments: