Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It was a Huge Success!

It's been a little while since I have posted my blog. As you know I had my second Athletic Speed Formula Seminar in New York at the Lee Taft Speed Academy. It was a jam-packed 3 days of information.

I was so thrilled to have people from around the US and Wold spend 3 to 4 days (some came for the FREE Speed Insiders http://www.speedinsiders.com/ night) with me and learn my systems and coaching styles.

Not only was I thrilled and honored to have them attend my seminar but I was extremely proud of them for investing in themselves to take their knowledge to a new level. You see, not everyone gets the big picture. Most people find the reason NOT to do something rather than find the reason to do it. Some of the attendees overcame some difficult situations to attend my seminar and some even gave up some vacation time to be there. I am so proud of all of them because they really get it.

Some of the real big breakthroughs for the attendees came during the additional business session on Sunday afternoon. It was so great to see them have huge breakthroughs and know that they now have a strategy to take their business to a new level.

So Congratulations to all of the attendees and I look forward to watching your success.

Concepts Learned

One of the big concepts that was learned at the ASF seminar was the concept of creating better movement angles by positioning the body better during multi-directional speed. I use a term called "Stay in the Tunnel". This was impactful for many of the attendees because it made them see how movement mistakes occur when an athlete is out of the "tunnel."

What this concept covers is the ability of the athlete to quickly make directional changes and immediately re-accelerate because of the proper angles from being in the "tunnel." When an athlete stays low they create immediate angles when the body repositions the feet during directional changes. This is a tool I use to evaluate an athletes movement. It is a great assessment tool for a coach to have.

Let me give you an example of how powerful this tool is. One of the sessions during the Athletic Speed Formula Seminar was the attendees had to teach several of my athletes that attend the Lee Taft Speed Academy http://www.leetaftspeedacademy.com/. The coaches work with each athlete on specific skills and techniques for about 8-10 minutes and them we rotate athletes. This way the coaches get to see how the coaching strategies might change according to the athlete individual abilities. Once this exercise was over we had the coaches take a turn at getting in front of the group and discussing an issue they saw with any of the athletes- they would bring the athlete out and demonstrate the movement issue and how they tried to fix it. This was a powerful session. One athlete came out and the coach was having difficulty getting him to use a retreating skill called a hip turn. This coach went through many potential adjustment of the shoulders, hips, and feet- which were all good adjustments- but there was one adjustment that was being missed. I asked the athlete to get into a lower stance and stay in it through the movement and I increased his awareness and intensity with a couple cues- when the athlete performed the skill he was struggling on he nailed it.

My point with this story is how powerful coaching can be when you are armed with the tools to make change. The Athletic Speed Formula Seminar is about making change in our coaches and athletes for the better.

Breaking the BASE myth

In my next blog I will be sharing a breakthrough that one of the attendees had about how athletes are being cheating out of better performance because their skill work is being substituted for another form of training....

This was a special unannounced session that really was powerful and made everyone think about how athletes are being cheated out of success because of old methods not being challenged enough. I shared with the attendees my philosophy and how I have approached this issue and they were shaking their heads in because it was such a big breakthrough. More to come in my next blog on this topic.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: If you want to get your hands on the raw un-edited version of the Athletic Speed Formula Seminar go to www.LeeTaftSeminars.com/seminar_special.htm

No comments: