Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lee and The World Champ...


I know this is a big family and friends weekend and it should be. Memorial Day is a wonderful time to remember all the individuals that fought for our freedom. But I had to share with you my time with the MMA Champ, Randy Couture. Listening to him talk about how he prepares himself to compete was inspiring. To be honest with you, what inspired me more was how he prepares for business. He is swamped by offers to promote this widget and that widget, but he sticks to his principles and go with what is right. I respect this about Randy.

Randy spoke about how he made a come back at the age of 43-44 to become the heavy weight champ. Talk about having a plan. He spent months preparing to fight Tim Silvia, a much taller and bigger man. He brought in other fighters that were tall. This forced him to learn how to negotiate around Tim's length. The point is, Randy had a plan and he worked his plan. I admire that so much from people that figure out what they have to do to be successful and then ACT ON IT!

I have tried to live my life, and more recently my business life, with this philosophy. I find out from other people what works and then I make it my mission to adapt it to my life and business. I would much rather learn from other peoples mistakes then to have to go through all the mistakes myself. Although, I do believe we learn a lot more from the mistakes and failures we have then our successes.

I still can't imagine going back into the ring and fighting age his age- really awesome stuff. Heck, I hate fighting traffic at my age, I can't imagine fighting someone a lot bigger at 44.

You Must Attend!!!!!!

I am hosting a REAL important teleseminar Wednesday Night, May 28 at 7:15 pm -8:15 pm EST. I am revealing three of my most important training principles and concepts that can make you a super star coach in your niche. Regardless of if you are a PE teacher, strength and conditioning coach, personal trainer or a youth coach, this teleseminar will help you make a HUGE impact on the lives of the athletes you train. If you are a athletic development business owner.. you will blow people away knowing these three key athletic speed concepts.

I will be putting on this seminar on my one night home this coming week...I am traveling between the West Coast and the East coast. I think it is important that coaches are prepared to use this information for their summer speed and agility program! You definite must attend!

As a bonus, I will be answering a few of the many questions I received this month from my exclusive Speed Insiders Members. Each month they benefit from sending me their questions and I answer them in depth. This is a great learning tool for everyone, not just the ones asking the questions.

This call is only an hour. So, it will be to the point with the most important immediately usable information. What you will discover from this teleseminar will get amazing results if you apple them the very next day. I am really excited for this teleseminar.

OK. Here is the deal, If you are a Speed Insider http://www.speedinsider.com/ or in my Platinum Exclusive Coaching and Mastermind group you can attend the teleseminar for FREE. If you are not , then you will have a small investment of $27.00. If you would like to attend for FREE and want to try my Speed Insider program simply go to http://www.speedinsiders.com/ and try it out free for two months.

If you want in on this teleseminar go to www.TheSpeedGuy.com/techniquesteleseminar. Don't forget about the special bonus of listening to some great questions that will be useful to all.

Strength versus Multi-directional Speed- are they equally important?

There are many schools of thought when it comes to making an athlete faster. There is the strength crowd that feels as long as they are strong they will develop the ability to move faster. There is the speed training crowd that feels if you improve their neuromuscular training and improve and athlete's technique they will get faster more quickly this way. Then there are variations of both of these schools of thought. Here's what I think...

I have no doubt that if I can increase the force output and the time it takes to do so- I can make a faster athlete. So I know the wt room is the foundation of speed. But I also know that if you approach multi-directional or athletic speed the correct way, strength alone won't improve great movement skill.

What do I mean? When an athlete develops great strength and power and now moves faster when force is applied to the ground it doesn't say anything about body control and movement strategies. The athlete must be taught to position the body (center of mass and legs) in such a way that they quick force being applied can be directed correctly into the ground and therefore causing efficient movement. So the strongest man in the world doesn't earn the right to be the quickest mover on a field or court. He, just like everyone else, has to learn to negotiate his body so quick movements can be common. Most track athletes that I have worked with that primarily train for linear speed don't innately understand the "feeling" of preparing to re-negotiate the bodies position in an instant.

When you as a coach or an athlete begin to understand the role of technical efficiency during multi-directional speed you now can assess movement and increase its value.

The answer is... neither is more important than the other from a global standpoint. But without the technical efficiency of movement and negotiating the bodies position at any given time- all the strength and power in the world won't make you a better athlete. Think about that...

Yours In Speed,

Lee

PS: Don't forget to jump on this Live Teleseminar Wednesday the 28th from 7:15 pm-8:15 pm EST. Go to www.TheSpeedGuy.com/techniquesteleseminar You really don't want to miss this one!!!

PSS: If you want me to personally answer your questions on a monthly basis, join my Speed Insiders Program and get the insider information. http://www.speedinsiders.com/

No comments: