Sunday, August 24, 2008

Congratulations To All The Olympians!!

I have to say I really enjoyed the competition and the excitement of the Olympic Games this year. When I look past the inconsistent judging, scoring, and officiating it was an exciting Olympics.

Here are some of my immediate thoughts on the games:

Michael Phelps was inspiring. He set a goal and didn't waiver. He went after a record that was set at a time when the training of athlete wasn't as strong. The competition wasn't as strong, the media coverage and expectations were not as intense. He didn't waiver- He just went out and got the job done. Congratulations Michael and the Phelps family.

Usain Bolt. Are you kidding me!! I absolutely love watching incredible displays of speed. It doesn't get any better than what Usain did. I have said for many years. The human being that is taller with incredible fast twitch and mechanics is going to be the sprinter of the future-you just saw it. Way to go Usain!

USA Basketball. You proved who has the most talent. The gold medal game was played by the USA team way under their potential and they still found away to get it done. Please don't think I don't think the Spanish team is a great team- they are. I love the way they shoot, drive to the hoop, and create spacing on the floor.

USA Men's Volleyball. Congratulations to all the players, families, and especially the coaches- namely Hugh McCutcheon. You showed the true spirit of team, focus, and mission. You competed and won on the biggest stage when the worst of tragedies blanketed your team. I am proud and sad. My condolences go out to the families for their loss.

South Korea with a Big Win Over Cuba. South Korea pulled off a big upset defeating the Champs- Cuba. This is what makes the Olympics so great. You never know what can happen.

Darra Torres. I have hope. I am only 42- really I can do it. Well maybe not but while watching a 41 year old whip up on the young pups was pretty inspiring. She looked great, swam fast, and competed with dignity and class all the way. Way to go Darra!

Japanese Softball. Of course I was upset seeing the USA team get defeated but once again- this is why the Olympics are so great. You can witness greatness, upsets, world records, misery, and elation almost every day. The USA softball team got beat. It was an upset. The Japanese team was ready and they played well. Great Job!

China is Golden Gymnasts. There is not doubt which country has the best gymnasts in the world. But man o man. USA came to compete and they did awesome. The men had some outstanding performances. Of course the women had some big highlights, mixed in with a few disappointments. Super job to all gymnasts.

Matthias Steiner in Weightlifting. The big German showed incredible strength winning the gold. But what was most touching is his dedication to his wife Susan who was killed last year in a car accident. Congratulations Matthias and I am sorry for you loss.

Nadal. He is an amazing athlete and tennis player. He did what many athletes in his development couldn't do. He stayed strong and kept pursing Federer even though for many years Federer kept winning majors. Nadal deserves to be the Worlds #1 player. You're the man Rafael!

USA Women's Soccer. You did it! You beat a world powerhouse in soccer. I love the fact they never gave up and didn't let injuries or excuses stop their charge at Gold. You deserve to be the Olympic Champions.

Well, they are just some of the highlights that I remember. There were so many others.

What I admire the most about these Olympic Athletes is they put their country on their backs if only for a while and represent them with loyalty and pride. The results are not always what is hoped for- but the effort is to be admired. ONCE AGAIN CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE OLYMPIANS. I can't wait until I get to see you shine once again in 4 more years.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: I would love to hear your thougths on what moments you remember the most. I will be sharing some special thougths and training concepts to my Speed Insiders Members soon. You don't want to miss this information. To become a Speed Insiders Member go to http://www.speedinsiders.com/ to sign up and get 2 months FREE membership.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kristy Coventry of Zimbabwewe (sp?)and her ability to unite her diverse nation, if only for a short while. It was heartwarming to see the majority rule black population embrace her accomplishments in this largely white athletic sport of swimming. Her lithe body did not compare to most of the athletes she competed against, yet she set world records for her country. War Eagle, Kristy.