Thursday, September 25, 2008

Organize For Productivity

Big Tele-seminar Tonight!

Don't forget to attend my tele-seminar tonight at 8 pm EST, "5 Essential Program Design Concepts for Coaching Speed." I am going to share some important information that will hopefully clear up some confusion. Plus- I have a BIG announcement. You have a few hours left to sign up.... www.thespeedguy.com/Sept25.htm.

Are You Organized for Success?

I have purchased so many of the organizational programs on the market today. I've had some success with a few of them; however, with most of them I eventually end up un-organized with my organization! What?

Let me explain. I think anyone who coaches, trains clients, runs a business, or has multiple tasks each day to complete should have a simple easy to reproduce daily plan of how to get things done. Like I said, I have used many systems over the years only to get frustrated trying to stay organized while organizing. So here is what I have come up with...

First- I only plan to do 3 major things each day. Doesn't matter what they are, but I only shoot for 3 things per day. Why 3? I know I can complete them. Just the act of completing all my written tasks for the day is empowering. It gives me a sense of completion and accomplishment. I write these 3 things on an index card and them rip it up and toss it when I am finished. It feels great! I am not saying I won't do more than 3 things on a given day, it is just I have to get those 3 major tasks done, then I am free to work on what ever else I choose.

Let me give you an example of what 3 of my tasks might be on a given day. Lets use today as example. First, I have a meeting at 9:30 with my business coach. Second, I need to complete this blog today. Third, I have to organize and prepare for tonight's tele-seminar. Once these tasks are finished I have completed my 3 big things. I then rip up the card and I am free to do what ever else I want. Because I will have free time I will work on a short sales copy flyer for a basketball clinic I am going to put on with the local YMCA.

Secondly, (this could have been first but I usually write my 3 things the night before so I suppose it would go first, anyway...)-I always start the day by looking at my big sheet of paper on the wall next to my desk. It is broken down into the different businesses or responsibilities I have. I have dates for the Speed Guy Blog, dates for the http://www.sportsspeedetc.com/ weekly journal article, Speed Insiders tasks, Mastermind and coaching group task, and my soon to be released Basketball Program. Each one of these categories have the dates written by them as to when I have to have things done and submitted to my staff. By having a big "chart" of dates and tasks, I simply check it out everyday and know what needs to be done. Simple.

Thirdl, any time I have a new idea or want to expand on a current project I take out a big paper and Mindmap it. I will put down the central idea in the middle of the paper and draw legs out from it with different aspects to the central idea. I have used this with every new business or project. It allows me to see everything in front of me rather than having to flip from page to page. Keep in mind- I only write bullet points and not long sentences under each leg. It is about getting thoughts on paper and then seeing the entire picture unfold in front of you. This can be also be used if you are a coach of a soccer team, a fitness professional planning out a new fitness class, or a business person creating a new product. Try it, you will love how it works. You can purchase fancy computer programs that do this for you, however I perfer pencil and paper.

Lastly, I will break my day into 3 segments. Early in the morning I do things that help make money for the business (products ideas, marketing, emails/blogs...). I try to finish this by noon. Afternoon is organization. Anything I need to have to follow up on, contacts, scheduling appointments. The reason I work on the money ideas in the morning is because my mind is fresh and ideas are flowing. I try to complete everything by 3:30. The last section of the day is family/kids time. The kids are out of school at 3:30 and we usually play something outside or in the garage. Plus. I also coach them at the YMCA and I will be coaching them even more at their intramural program at school. Occassionally, things run over but for the most part I stay on that path.

If my kids have events after school with friends or school related, I will work a little longer. When they go to bed I can even work a little more if I choose to. I am really learning to do more quality things in shorter time spans so I can have options to play with my kids and do other fun activities.

I would like to hear your thoughts. Send to info@sportsspeedetc.com so I can get your feedback on organization.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: I often present organizational ideas and business improvement strategies to my exclusive Speed Insiders Members http://www.speedinsiders.com/. Give it a try for 2 months absolutely FREE.

I would like to thank Lee for all the information given in his speed insiders program. Since I attended Lee's athletic speed formula last October I have been hooked on his knowledge and enthusiasm for speed training. Watching, listening and reading the way he conducts his training and teaching has become infectious. I use his techniques in my sessions, I use his cues in my coaching and I try to use his experience to guide me through my own progression as a coach. Not just the training but the business information he has given has also been a great motivator for my own career and given me the kick up the rear needed to pursue my goals. Since becoming a speed insider I have launched my own website (www.saqsoccer.com), with many of the ideas coming from Lee Taft's work and guidance. With all the expertise and information I continually receive from Lee and his numerous guest speakers and colleagues I am hoping that SAQSoccer can become a great resource to help young athletes get better educated while training for soccer and speed, and help other people like he has helped me.

Thanks,
Garry Lee Powell
http://www.saqsoccer.com/
soccer and speed coach
Augusta, Georgia

3 comments:

Aaron Gillies said...

Wow Lee!! I really learned a lot about how to organize. I used to think, man how can these guys get so much done. But organization is the way. I suppose my first step would be writing things down. I always feel that I have a good idea and by the time I am in position to work on it, it has slipped out. Thanks for the blog!

LT said...

Your welcome Aaron.

Once I came up with this format of being organized everything seem to fall into place. I still say the big thing is the simple mind mapping strategy I use for getting all the options for new ideas on paper so you can clearly see all of it. Best of luck!
Lee

LT said...

OOPS! Suppose to be You're welcome:)