Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Yes! World Champion Coach

I am really looking forward to this fall. There is so much going on. You will be involved in some great news over the next few months so hold on to your hats.

Roller Skating To Be Better

I just got back from dropping my daughter Jae off at the indoor skating facility in town. She was invited to go with a classmate. I love watching the kids skate (I use to skate a lot as a kid) because it improves so many valuable coordination skills, plus it is fun and social. They listen to music, talk, race, FALL (ouch!), and all while they learn how to balance and control their body. As I have mentioned before, anything kids can do to improve their movement skills at a young age will help later as they develop.

Hanging with The World Champion- Doc Rivers

A couple weeks ago I attended the Michael Jordan Event in Las Vegas. It was an amazing event. I am a huge basketball fan (big basketball news coming soon) and was like a kid in a candy store.

I was able to meet and hang out with some of the top coaches in the game. I was a fan of Doc when he played for the Atlanta Hawks. He actually took some time and sent a short thank you video to my 2 daughters for cheering them on during the playoff run. What a classy guy!

I not only had a great time at the MJ event, but I learned a lot. In a previous blog, I wrote a bit about how Michael Jordan taught us some important things about basketball and business, but I learned a lot from watching all the different coaches.

I can remember listening to Roy Williams, of North Carolina, as he taught a basketball concept about attacking the top of a 2 front zone (2-3 or 2-1-2). He consistently mentioned making the defense commit, then you have options. Not only in basketball but in any sport, this is such an important concept young players don't understand. When you force a defensive player to commit you immediately create clear options for yourself. When you allow the defense to play off and not really commit to you- you become unsure. Great message in life as well.

All in all, I had a fantastic experience and look forward to more experiences like this. Like I always say, to become better at anything you have to find people who are already doing it and good at it. I have made that a mission in my personal and business life. I want answers from people who have proven they have the answers.

This is why, after being in the athletic/sports field for over 20 years, I love helping other who need help. I look at it as a chain. I learn from highly successful people, then I take my experiences and what I have learned and teach others, and so on down the chain.

For this reason, I created Speed Insiders. http://www.speedinsiders.com/ is a great place for you to start collecting little golden nuggets of information that will spawn into new ideas for you and your programs.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: I have people say to me "Why are you always promoting your membership http://www.speedinsiders.com/. The honest and simple truth is I want to help and I want people who truly want to be helped. You have a small investment in your success to become a valued member of the Speed Insiders. This small investment separates the serious people wanting learn and grow from the people who just want things handed to them without taking any action. I learned this myself a long time ago. If you have nothing in "it", then you don't appreciate it and work for it. I never force anyone, but I will work my tail off for you once you commit to yourself. http://www.speedinsiders.com/

No comments: