Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Good Thing She's Not a Domino's Delivery Person

If my wife were a Domino's Pizza Delivery Person she would be giving a lot of FREE pizza away. She still hasn't delivered! She is having these contractions in her back and her stomach - COME ON! Out with it already- I've got things to do and places to go. JUST KIDDING I don't actually tell her that (but I am thinking it:)

Any way, no baby boy yet. At her last doctors visit she was told she probably wouldn't have to make another appointment because it should happen any day now. Hey, as long as the baby is healthy, has a goatee, is wearing basketball shoes and can do the Ickey shuffle, then I will be happy.

Athletic Speed Formula In A Box

I have received many questions as to what exactly is Athletic Speed Formula in a Box. People want to know what is it going to do for them. This product is a spin off of the Athletic Speed Formula Seminar. It is quite in-depth on how I run my speed academy. I have gotten questions as to why is it so expensive. If you were to buy this product, regardless of if you were a PE teacher, youth coach, high school or college coach, strength coach or athletic development business owner, then you would basically have a progression of skills, teaching models, evaluation tools, the ability to break down any athletic speed skill, how to implement a strength training program, how to begin teaching a jump training program, a warm up system, and so much more.

You could open up a business or implement this into your existing business and be way ahead of the game. It is not just a product of information. It is the system I use at Lee Taft Speed Academy to improve athletic performance and run my business.

I think the most important tool I have shared is the ability to look at "Linking Skills" or "Sub-skills" to be able to evaluate mistakes an athlete may have made when going from one athletic speed skill to another. I want coaches to be able to develop a keen eye and know what to look for when athletes make movement mistakes.

If you study the product and listen closely to the CD's you will become very good at teaching athletic speed skills. This will be worth a lot of money to you as you become known as the expert in your area.

Anyway-I have only skimmed over what Athletic Speed Formula in a Box is all about. It is a product you will develop your program around. Go to http://www.athleticspeedformula.com/ to learn more.

Jump Training

I think jump training might be one of the most over used training methods there is. When I see a program that is only about Jump Training I get real nervous.

Jumping is a skill like any other athletic speed skill. It must be taught properly and progressed with caution. But first- landing must be taught. If the athlete can jump through the roof but can land well an injury is waiting to happen.

First of all, pure plyometric or jump training needs to be introduced after a foundation of strength and correct mechanics are set. How often do you see complete plyometrics program introduced the first day of high school practice- way too often.

Begin by teaching how the ankles, knees, hips, and back should be positioned to absorb force properly. How the arms should be and where the head and eyes are. The arms and head and eyes can vary depending on a particular goal. One the landing foundation is set then start to introduce the propulsion techniques with landing. Sometimes having the athlete land on a box is safer and easier to get a great push off effort but still minimize the landing forces. From here you can gradually build in different kinds of jumps and landings to challenge the athletes body awareness and stability concerns.

I am a firm believer in doing low volume jumping with high concentration on detail and when ready high intensity on the push off phase and occasionally high intensity on landing.

Don't look at jump training as a program in itself but as a part of the overall athletic development program. Be aware of ability level, training age, biological age, and the purpose of jump training for the population you are working with.

I hope this gives you some basic ideas and encourages you to look further into how to implement a jump training program.

Time to get to work

I have some up and coming projects in progress. Coming in the next couple months I will be a part of two Webinars/on-line seminars, a pre-NFL Combine cCinic, a speed clinic at my NY speed academy, and a some smaller speed clinics locally.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

No comments: