Thursday, January 17, 2008

Net Yet

Jenn is still holding on to our baby boy. Between us, I think she would gladly like to have him anytime now. She has had some small contractions every now and again but nothing big enough to get him moving south:).

The baby's room is all set. Everything is organized ready for him to sleep, rock, watch things around him, and of course we have all the supplies ready to change him after he works on his first two numbers- Number 1 and Number 2.

My girls are going to love him so much. They are going to love to play with him and make him smile. It can't wait to see their reaction the first time his number 2 smells like Poo.

When you think you can't get any more distractions

Jenn and I have been working feverishly on our businesses and making huge strides- but I must admit at times it is extremely busy and difficult to keep focused. So, wouldn't you know we had to have some pipes that go to our bathrooms and sinks completely dug up and replaced the last two days. That was 2 days without a bathroom most of the time. We now have a huge 30 foot filled in trench right outside our back door- can you say MUD! Our dog long jumps this pile every time he goes in the backyard. What a distraction this has been- but we keep trudging along.

The Speed of the Crossover

Recently I had an interview for a soon to be released basketball product. I was asked many questions about my "Basketball Success Pyramid" and the steps I use. One of the questions I was asked referred to what I call the King of Athletic Movement- The Crossover. The question started out by mentioning how so many coaches preach never to cross the feet. They are partly right- but mostly missing the point.

The crossover is used to gain speed laterally without losing orientation or good positioning on an offensive player or the situation in the game. If a basketball player on offense makes an aggressive hard move toward the hoop the defender has to match the intensity and speed. The hierarchy in of laterally movement will be; first- Lateral shuffle. If you do not have to turn and run, or crossover because the you can maintain positioning with the shuffle that is best. Secondly- crossover. If the speed is too great to stay in a shuffle but not enough to turn and run use the crossover. Lastly- turn and run. When you are beat you must turn and run to get back in position.

Why do I call the crossover the "King". It allows so much versatility for the defensive player. The defender can quickly match the initial first step of the offensive player, he/she can stay with the offensive player for a great distance at higher speeds, and he/she can stop and change directions quickly to match the offensive move.

The physical look of the crossover is like this; The lower body will turn so the legs can preform pretty close to a normal stride- the key is to turn the hips so the legs are free to move. The upper body/head and shoulders will stay mostly squared up to the play or player. This separation of the two body segments allows the defender to accomplish speed of movement and great defensive positioning.

To Learn more about the crossover and an entire teaching strategy of athletic speed click on over to http://www.athleticspeedformula.com/

Certification

I am continuously asked if I have a certification to certify others on teaching my techniques. I have never really put much stock in it in the past- BUT now I am starting to think more about it. Not because I think a lot of certifications, but because I feel if parents, coaches, and athletes knew the facility they were going to be involved with or the coach they are training with had a specific certification that addressed multi-directional speed training, then maybe it would help increase awareness. I am still thinking about it but it might possible be in the "plans".

Busy Day, got go

I hope you have a great weekend. Stay safe and healthy, I will be chatting again shortly.

Yours in speed,

Lee

No comments: