Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Parents Are The Key...

Family Update

It is a great time of the year. but boy is it busy! My daughters are involved with anything and everything at school and it keeps us all hopping. They are involved with basketball, travel volleyball (which is going to be pretty low-keyed and local..which is important), my oldest daughter is in select choir, my youngest is a Brownie, and my little boy, Brennen, is filling his diapers at record pace (thought you might want to know that last one).

I spent some time setting up a training facility in my home and will begin training athletes as soon as I get back from my final Athletic Speed Formula Seminar this weekend in NY. So, as you can see we are real busy and I like it that way.

Parents are the Key...

Far to often I hear of coaches say they don't allow parents to hang around and watch their kids train. Plus, I know many that do not like to meet with parents and spend some time hearing what they would like for their child to do and learn. I have a much different take on this.

First of all, I can't think of a better way to promote your program and have automatic marketing then to have parents see you work and then tell all their friends (of course you better do a good job). Developing a relationship with the parents is awesome. I love speaking with them and letting them know what I am trying to do with their athletes. They really appreciate it. I know when my daughters join a program I don't want to be shut out. I want to know what is being done- if only by watching.

For the coaches that don't take the time to meet with parents and get to know them and learn a little bit about their situation I personally think it is a big mistake. I met the other night with a father and his two sons. I invited them to meet my family and I, as well as see my facility. I walked them through what the program is about and showed them all the equipment. I spent time explaining a typical workout and answered any questions they had. As the father and I spoke we became more comfortable with each other and begin talking about various topics. It was a great experience for all. To me this is what make training athletes so great- involving the family in the process.

There have been some parents that are completely hands off. They drop'em and pick'em up and that's it. That's fine, but they have the same opportunity to spend time with me as anyone else. REMEMBER THIS....IT IS ALL ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS!

The final point I want to make about the relationship with parents is it is important to go the extra mile and make a call home if you know the kids have a big exam in school or if they were injured, basically keep up on how they are doing even outside your training program.

Athletic development has become so popular now and every Tom, Dick, and Harry are opening a facility. All the equipment in the world doesn't mean a thing if you don't understand working with young athletes and if you don't build relationships with parents. Too often we become over scientific and hard core with the training and miss the obvious; make athletes safer, improve their basic fundamentals, empower them to understand how to train better, and have fun. Results will take care of themselves.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: The Speed Insiders Membership is one of my favorite programs I have been involved with because I have direct communication with coaches that want to become better and gain new information. Just yesterday I met with a business partner and we have some incredible plans coming in 2009 to make the Speed Insiders program better then ever by meeting more of your wants and needs. You can give it a test drive for FREE and be ready for the new programs in January. Go to http://www.speedinsiders.com/

PSS: If you are a basketball fan like I am. then you will want to check out the hottest basketball club around. I am real close to nailing down a huge two day seminar for coaches of all levels. This is only one of many great benefits to the Basketball Speed Insiders Club. Check it out at http://www.basketballspeedinsiders.com/ for you FREE 30 day trial. Plus, receive my newly released Basketball Speed 2...for FREE!

No comments: