Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The History Of Fitness

I just arrived home from Des Moines, IA. I was there helping instruct the National Guard in a new physical readiness program. It was a three day event that sparked an interest in physical fitness beyond what I already have.

Not only did I have the opportunity to teach soldiers, many of whom will be deployed at some point this year, but I spent time with one of the most knowledgeable men in the world when it comes to military fitness and physical education. His name is Dr. Thomas and he has a passion for physical fitness like no one I have ever seen. He not only plays a large role in the fitness of our military, but he also is leading the march in getting our Physical Education programs back on track.

One of the reasons it was so special for me to spend time with Dr. Thomas was because it reminded me of the long talks I had with my father. My father was also a physical fitness educator and cared deeply about the fitness of our country. He used to tell me about the programs he established back in WWII when he was in charge of physical education. Then to hear Dr. Thomas talk about his research of fitness during WWII and before was quite amazing. I really gained a higher passion for fitness after spending time listening to Dr. Thomas and having a chance to look at many of the books in his library of over 1,000 books on fitness related topics. Many of the books dated back to 1800's and he had at least one from 1700's. It was truly an amazing experience. One in which I would have loved to share with my father and hear his stories again.

What I took from this four day event is that we need to get our youth moving correctly once again. I know you have heard it before, but the movement we have going on in the country to get our kids moving isn't good enough. It is too soft and too unorganized. I have actually changed my views in how I see the need of our programs to be ran. I still believe in play and self directed movement during early stages of growth and development, but I also see the need for well organized instructor driven programs. Here is the great thing about this view, the students can also be the instructor. They can and should learn to lead their peers. (More on this topic at a later time.)

I have always been a big proponent of group instruction and I am even a bigger fan now. The reason is more students/athletes/adults can be involved then if we focus on the one-on-one or small groups. The key is how we instruct these large groups. I have seen through books and videos groups of up to the hundreds being instructed and it was as if they were only one. Each person learned, through proper instruction, how to perform the exercises well. There is a method of having partners instruct each other to get each student to be an instructor. There is no better way to learn a skill then to have to teach it. If done properly, we can have our physical education classes, youth fitness groups, and sports programs performing top notch movements like "Pros" in no time.

More thoughts... In order for the youth fitness movement to head strongly in the correct direction our schools and families have to buy in as well. We need to have correct mechanics when our students are sitting at their desks for better posture. We have to stop eating and drinking poor nutrient foods, and we have to exercise in full range of motion to keep our bodies ability to move well through adulthood. Lot's to do and little time to do it. If we keep waiting we will have a serious problem in the years to come. Love to hear your thoughts...

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: Come join the family of Speed Insiders and participate in the movement to better fitness. Go to http://www.speedinsiders.com/ for a FREE trial for 2 months.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Lee:

I agree 100%. Through my association with a local rugby club in Aurora Canada I am able to set up a weekly KidFit program at a local elementary school gym. I incorporate some of what you teach and I also integrate "structured Play" Because we are a not for profit youth program, I am able to gain access to facilities for a nominal charge which makes it easy to offer this at a low cost.

LT said...

Awsome Chris! We all have a lot of ground to make up. Did you know that in the 1930's roughly 70% of kids failed the basic fitness movement test. It all started when our countries focus went from physical fitness focus to a primarily sports focus. I think we could have done both and maintained our movement our posture. If we all get our focus we can start to improve the fitness level of our kids.