Saturday, January 3, 2009

What Do You Watch When At....

I have gone to many basketball games this year. I have seen several boys and girls high school, elementary, and even professional. As a matter of fact there is a high school boys game tonight I plan to attend. My question to you is what do you pay attention to when you go to a game?

Over the years of being a speed coach, especially with basketball players, I find myself watching a lot of defenders. As a point guard you learn to use your peripheral vision to see the court. I kind of do this when in the stands watching the game. I always know where the ball is but I spend most of my time watching the defenders on the ball and off the ball. I want to see how they move and what their footwork is like. At one of the games with my daughter she said to me "Did you see that shot." I had to say no- because I was looking at how the defender worked his way off the screen. It give you an entirely new perspective of the game.

As a coach of many sports I learned early to watch what was going on away from the ball. When I use to coach football I would keep my eyes focused on our lineman and many times the defense to see how they reacted to a play. I always know where the ball is, and it is more important to me so see what everyone else is doing.

If you get a chance to watch a college, pro, or high school basketball, football, or other sport with and offense and defense, try to put you focus on what the defensive players are doing and how they move their feet. Not only watch their feet but watch to see how they react or anticipate plays. I like to see if they can see plays coming. If there is a screen or a block (football) being set on them can they fight off the screen or block and still maintain good defensive positioning?

Back when Bobby Knight was coaching I use to love to watch players like Steve Alford move without the ball. You could see him setting up his defenders to get caught up in a screen. Another player to watch is Rip Hamilton of the Detroit Pistons- constant movement without the ball.

I think you miss a lot of the game when you only watch the ball. The good stuff happens away from the ball. Plus, if you want to be a better coach of multi-directional speed you need to watch the defenders and see how they move their feet, how they control their shoulders when a change of direction occurs quickly. You want to watch them have to stop on a dime and still be in control. You don't see this when you only watch the ball.

I would love to read your comments on what you saw the next time you watch a game.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: If you haven't had a chance to see the best multi-directional speed DVD set in the industry yet you need to go to www.GroundBreaking2.com and check it out today.

No comments: