Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Class Act!


Hey, I just arrived home from another great Perform Better Summit. I have to tell you, the people of Perform Better are a class act. They are great to speak with, very knowledgeable about their business, and their leader, Chris Poirier, is a true professional. I certainly enjoy speaking for them, but I mostly enjoy being around the event and having the chance to meet so many great people. It also gives me a chance to catch up with old friends in the business.

Re-Thinking Multi-directional Speed

The topic I spoke on this weekend was Re-Thinking Multi-directional Speed. I spoke at two hands-on sessions and one lecture session. My position regarding this topic is that we must all take a closer look at what is actually occurring with in natural movement of our athletes. We must remember not to dictate how they move before we see what they bring to the table.

We often jump the gun when it comes to coaching speed skills and definitely when correcting speed skills. Let's face it, the body is an amazing machine. It knows what it needs. Sometime we do need to give it some help because of the issues it develops over time (instability, tightness, weakness...). But, for the most part it is pretty good on its own.

One of the important points I made was that we need to teach from a foundation of "Concepts" and "Principles" of movement. We also need to understand basic bio mechanics and laws of physics. Having this baseline of information will serve as your guiding light when coaching. We need to be extremely careful to not fall in the trap of allowing drills to be our foundation. Remember, what I have always taught; drills are only vehicles for skills and techniques to be taught with. Drills fill the tool box, but you have to have the tool box built out of fundamental principles first.

Hips as a Pivot Point

Another key topic I discussed was the fact the hips act as a pivot point for the legs and feet to move from under. When an athlete reacts quickly and needs to accelerate out of a stance the feet will move to a better more efficient position to aid in the acceleration. This is innate. The body figures this out. What is occurring is the hips/pelvis/spine stabilize to allow the legs to move quickly to a new position. Once their the hips/pelvis/spine stabilize to allow the force of the legs to create efficient effective movement.

To often athletes are discouraged from this re-alignment of the feet. They are being coached to move the center of mass over the feet. This is a difficult thing to do when the athlete participates in a sports that is based on random reactions. The athlete is at a disadvantage from the get go. Allow them to move the feet to move the body, not the other way around.

Athletic Speed Formula

I had the opportunity to speak with many people who would like to attend my Athletic Speed Formula Seminar May 15-18 (15th is a special day for Speed Insiders only). It is literally around the corner. If you have not had the chance to register go to http://www.leetaftseminars.com/ now and reserver your spot.

Many of the people I spoke with during the Perform Better Summit wanted more detailed questions answered. I did the best I could but without giving them a foundation. This is why I hold Athletic Speed Formula. It is literally an education in techniques that you won't find anywhere else. You have my attention for the entire seminar. I speak indepth with the things you need and want to know.

Because it is my seminar, I am sure it comes across as me just selling "me". The bottom line is, it is a lot of work to organize this event and for me to prepare the tons of material you receive. And believe me, it would be much easier for me to not even host it. But, I absolutely love every moment of it. I get the chance to meet you and teach you the things that have helped me over the past 20 years. This type of seminar dosen't come along often. I want you to have a special experience and walk away feeling so much more confident in your ability to coach athletes. I promise you- it will be a fantastic seminar. Go to http://www.leetaftseminars.com/ and sign up today. You will be glad you did. I can't wait to meet you!

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: Don't forget! For the BEST semianr of its kind, http://www.leetaftseminars.com/ You must attended!

No comments: