Thursday, April 10, 2008

What Would You Do?

I want to know what you think about the question below. But before I ask, put yourself in the shoes of the athletes and try to think how you would react and why. I am also going to give my opinion- but it is only my opinion.

Question: What do you think about an athlete coming out of high school or leaving college early to enter the NBA or WNBA draft? Don't just go with the popular answers- go with your true feelings.

Here is what I think:

First of all, everyone is different. What I mean is that if the player is not a definite a top 10 pick or at least first rounder I say don't go. If you are going to make that move you better get paid well up front. But if you are not a definite high pick where you are guaranteed some money so you can invest and be safe financially.

Secondly, I have heard so many people say "what a shame to skip a college education". Who says they can't get the college education if they choose to. Plus, who says a college education is the best education for everyone. It might be the best for some, but for many it isn't.

Going to college is a time for many kids is a waste of money and time. They throw their education down the drain. For others it is the pathway to a good job.

I received a BS and a MS from college and the best education I have received to date has been in the past 10 years learning more about business and training. I can't really say that I received a good foundation from college. Basically I took classes, rushed to get assignments and papers completed, finished the semester and then started over with different classes.

The role of an education is to set you up for a good paying job. Hmm, does the NBA pay well? I think so. Can you venture off into other businesses and learn the way of business and other avenues of life being around so many influential people. I think so.

Now, I know college is more than just taking classes- I get that. Those other reasons still doesn't make it right for everyone. The underclassman that are leaving for the NBA and WNBA this year will have an opportunity to set themselves and their families up for life. They can still get their education just like many other former players have over the years. But, if the main purpose of college is to get a good paying job, I can't think of too many other jobs that pay that well.

In closing, I want to mention some present NBA players that are doing pretty well and they didn't go to college or came out early. Kevin Garnett, Jermain O'Neil, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Allen Iverson, Shaq, and many others. I know there have been many players that tried to come out early and didn't make it. But, if a player wants to follow their dream of playing NBA or WNBA basketball why is that any different than the student wanting to follow their dream of being a teacher or doctor. It is all about attaining the skills to perform your trade. If they can play the game they can play the game.

There are many other comments I could make about being too young to be around older men at such an young age and traveling all over the country and being seduced by negatives. But as far as I know those same negatives can exist in our world as well.

Give me you thoughts...

Yours in Speed

Lee

PS: The deadline for the Athletic Speed Formula Seminar Early Bird Special is fast approaching. Don't you miss the deadline. Go to http://www.leetaftseminars.com/ and register right now.

2 comments:

Gbrad said...

I agree that everyone is different. I also believe it take a certain level of maturity to be successful "playin' games" for a living. Even though there is still a high level of juvenile activity in college, at some point in a college career, one obtains a moment of clarity which is a huge step toward maturity. In the pros you get no grace or experimentation time; it's put up or shut up. A hard lesson to learn when an easier simpler option is readily available.

LT said...

That is awesome Folks! I have gotten some great responses. This may sound silly- but everyone is correct in their own way. The reason I say this is because who can say what is correct for everyone. I agree that kids need to mature mentally and emotionally to help guide them into the "Big Leagues." A couple years of college will do them good. But I still don't think the "Academic Education" is the most important reason. It might be great for some but for others it is a frustrating experience. I can go on an on about some of my theories of education, as a matter of fact many European country's did a study on "my theory" and they proved more effective than our traditional education. Enough said on that topic for now.

I really like to hear more because I think this topic opens up ideas and solutions that benefit young people.

Thanks so much

Lee