Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Executing For Success

Hello on this Sunny Tuesday morning. At least it sunny here in Indiana.

Family Update:

Today is a pretty busy day for the Taft's. Jenn and I have our usual workloads with Sports Speed, Etc., Speed Insiders, and Basketball Speed Insiders. Plus, Jenn has a business tele-seminar at mid-day. Bailee is going to a pottery class with her aunt, Jae and I have intramural basketball practice, Oh yeah, we are going to find time to eat and sleep during the day. Actually, it is not a bad day- pretty typical. Our family has a lifestyle that allows for busy days and the freedom to take time off when we want because we own our businesses. To be honest with you, I like being busy and productive. Sitting around and working on someone else's schedule has never worked well for us.

Executing For Success

Last night I watched the Georgetown Hoyas dismantle the UConn Huskies in a college basketball game. Georgetown played exactly how the saying goes "Be quick, but don't hurry." The Hoyas make backdoor cuts with great quickness. They push the ball up the floor with speed and they defend with aggressiveness, but they never hurry.

The reason I am even mentioning this is because as I am watching the Georgetown team play with such an opportunistic approach to the game, it tigger a parallel to business. The way they play is how I would love to run my business. Have a lot going on, many of moving parts, being quick with getting things done and taking action, but never hurrying or getting out of control.

It is a great principle to live by, but you really have to work at it. How do you accomplish things quickly but have enough control to not hurry into something that might be a mistake. Because, I have always preached don't worry about making mistakes when you are trying to make something good happen- you can always clean it up as you go. At times, you have to be careful not to make a foolish mistake simply because you reacted too quickly- hmm, it really is fun to play this type of game.

This is why I do the things I do in my preparation and productivity techniques like; mind mapping and a "To-Do" List. I am always looking to do things better and when I watched this game last night it made me think even more. How can I keep the speed up in getting things done, yet be patient enough to see the opportunity coming. The answer for me at this point is being as clear as possible with my goals so when an opportunity presents itself I am ready to act quickly. But, if the right opportunity doesn't show its face just be patient.

What I don't want to happen is my patients turn into to sluggish action. I don't want to misinterpret being patient with not getting things done. There is a way to do both and for the most part I am pretty good at it, however I need to get better at it- just like the Georgetown team displayed last night. Know what you want and be ready to pounce when it shows up.

I would love to hear you thoughts....

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: Hop on over to http://www.speedinsiders.com/ and check out the great opportunity.

No comments: