Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Don't Re-invent the Wheel

Family Update

The family is doing great! Brennen had his first check up today. I was going to ask the doctor if he thought Brennen was physically and mentally prepared to move up to varsity this year, but then Jenn told me that wasn't what his oppontment was about. OK , OK, we can wait until the end of them month. It's not like he has to be ready this week to play:)

Practice

My oldest daughter, Jae, and I had basketball practice last night at the church. This week I worked on teaching the girls (3rd graders- 5th graders) how to get open to receive a pass. We did the "V" cut. The first thing I did was ask the girls what a V looked like by walking it out on the floor. Once they understood that I then asked them how they could use it to get open. Some understood and others didn't- no problem. I used one of the girls as a defender on me and I told them where I wanted to catch the ball, but because the defender was so tight on me I had to get her off me first. I simply walked my defender down toward the lane and quickly popped out a little closer to the ball (making V cut). I had them practice this without a defender first and them added a defender. They pick it up like lint on a new black sweater.

The cool thing was that after a few reps of each girl trying this drill, they started to instinctively use a backdoor cut when the defense was overplaying the pass. Now remember, these are 3rd-5th graders. Some of them have never played before. When they went back door, I had them make a pass and they would score. After a couple girls did this back door cut, I stopped them and asked the team, "why did she go back door and not do another V cut". One of the girls said, "because it was open"- sheesh! Of course. They just used their natural instinct and went to a spot that was open. Now if I had tried to force them to get open on the V cut when the defender was taking them away I would have cuased frustration in them and more importantly I would have taken away their creativity to make a play.

I have always preached to coaches to allow their athletes to show them what they can and can not do. This way it gives you more of a direct approach to teach them what they need.

Don't Re-Invent the Wheel

It is amazing how much faster you can get where you want to go by following a proven path then trying to create you own path. Now I am not saying you shouldn't always be on the look out for ways to keep improving a skill, sport, or business, but if there is something that you want and it has already been done- heck, go find it and follow their steps to success.

When I established my business format (how I run my hour training session) back in 1993 it was spawned from the idea of another strength coach that I went into business with for a short time. All I did was change it slightly to meet my needs and how I wanted to best meet the demands of the athletes. This is an easy example but there are many other examples in our day to day life that we should follow this rule.

How many of you would like to make more income so you can do more with your family, business, give more to charity or schools... Now you might want to make more money, but you probobly don't want to work a ton more hours becuase it will just be too demanding and stressful on your life. So, why not go find a person that has done an home based business or an online business that works very little but has a nice extra income coming in each month. Go find them and ask them what they did. There are plenty of books, articles, cd's and other ways to learn how others did it. Take what they have done and make it work for you. Don't re-invent the wheel.

Coming The End of This Month!!!

By now you have probobly recieved an email or two on the Speed Insiders program coming the end of the month. This has been one of the most exciting projects that I have ever undertaken because it will impact so many people in the fitness and athletic development field.

What spawned this idea was becasue for so many years I have received great questions from coaches, trainers, and parents from around the globe wanting answers to clear up their confusion. I did my absolute best to help but it is so difficult to impact as deep I would like through an email. So the idea of the Speed Insiders came to the surface.

I truly want to help those who are confused and need guidance, and those who just want new and different ideas on how to train, start a speed clinic business, develop a training facility, and so much more.

I will never say my stuff is the best and it isn't meant to be. But what it is meant to be is solid proven result oriented information and systems that set athletes, coaches, trainers, and parents up for success.

This is something I want you to be apart of because it will help you. plain and simple!

go to http://www.speedinsiders.com/ to learn more and start your process of getting answers.

Yours in Speed,

Lee
http://www.leetaft.com/

No comments: