Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Big Game Today

Family Update:

As you can imagine it is crazy this time of year. The girls are excited for Santa and Bailee's birthday is in the next few days. Both of my daughters are just as excited about giving gifts to others this year. They are kind of getting this whole "giving thing"- It is nice to see.

Brennen is amazing us with his growth. He all of a sudden started dancing to the music of one of his Christmas toys. He started putting his arms out to the side and swaying back and forth and moving his head like Stevie Wonder. It is so funny to watch.

Jenn and I are pushing through the holiday season trying to keep some normalcy, yet still work on business. It is always a tough time of the year to get things done, but I am a firm believer in working hard when most are not willing to... just my personal philosophy.

Big Game Today

OK. Let's lace'em up. Today is the first game of the 5th and 6th grade intramural team. We have a team traveling to our school today and the girls are so excited. They have been practicing for over a month and are ready to play another team.

My biggest interest is that the girls have fun and learn from the experience. I am sure some will play well and others will struggle. I know all of them will become aware of what they need to improve on. Jae woke up this morning excited about the game. She is ultra competitive anyway. I told her to play hard and enjoy the game.

Over the past 2 weeks we have spent some quality time on skills and development. I had to steer the coaches away from spending so much time on running offenses and put the focus back on development. The difference between my focus and the coaches (they are great guys who care about the girls) is my goal is to develop a program that does well when they move up to the junior high and varsity level. I want them to have applicable skills so the next coaches can build on our foundation. The coaches are concerned about wins and losses and are willing to overlook the development in order to run plays better. But, because I have been put in the position as the director- I win:)

Seriously, I don't want the girls to end this season not knowing how to perform the basic skills of basketball well. This is so important for the development of the girls and the program. It also will help the girls confidence. Just knowing they improved a ton will help them stay involved and want to get better.

It is such a busy time of the year for my family, as well as I am sure your's. I hope you are all enjoying your holiday shopping, parties and preparing for a New Year!

Yours in Speed,

Lee

No comments: