Tuesday, December 9, 2008

New Year, Same Old Habits...Or Not?

You may already know but, at the end of Ocotober I closed my speed academy in NY. However, I recently started taking on area athletes here in IN. Because I have a busy schedule, I won't have a full schedule of training. I do look forward to taking on serious athletes that want to produce results and build a big training foundation or build on their training foundation.

I recently had 12 year old boy begin my program. We are on day 3 of his journey to being a better and a healthier athlete. It is amazing how much he has picked up in the 2 days of training this far. What I mean is he listens and does what I ask so he makes improvements on his movement quality every workout. I spent the first 2 days educating him on how I want his body position (posture) when moving. We will continue to improve his mobility issues shown by my assessments and we will make him more comfortable in a proper athletic position. It is a lot of fun!

New Year Coming Soon. Are You Going To Make Changes?

When a new year comes around most people will make some kind of New Years Resolutions. The easy part is making them. The difficult part is sticking with them.

I think this year will be different for many people. Why? Because the current state of the economy will make people get out of their comfort zone and act on something new or variations of something old.

Most importantly in making sure you stick with your New Years Resolution is to understand exactly what it means to you.

The biggest problem is arbitrarily assigning something new to your life without actually having a strong emotional attachment if it does occur or if it doesn't occur. The most common change people want to make is exercise. But they really don't attach anything emotional to it. I know for a fact that if most people felt they were going to die young and miss all the fantastic opportunities with their children, spouse, and other family member, then they would take greater and more consistent action. Pain tends to make people act more than pleasure. However, wouldn't it be great if pleasure was the number one motivator.

If you could say I want to have more money, to be healthier, or have a bigger house because it would bring so much freedom and opportunity to my life, shouldn't that be enough? But somehow we don't have the self-discipline to stick it out.

I have made this pretty simple for myself. I don't make a commitment to anything unless it has a real strong emotional attachment for me. And if it does, then I try to outline what it would mean to me to both attain it and to not attain it. This way I can cover the great emotions of having it and the painful emotions of not having it. It must also be very important to me. I would love a new big house, but it isn't so important that it moves me. For example; I want my business to reach a certain level, therefore I can provide more opportunity for myself, my family, and people around me. If I do accomplish this goal, then the house and what ever other extras I would like to have will take care of themselves.

This year make it a point to really study your emotions and find out what would change your life for the better if you achieved your goal and what would change your life for the worse if you didn't. You have to move yourself emotionally and attach strong feelings to it.

Don't let this year be another dissapointment. Do what you set out to accomplish. We have become so use to dissapointing ourselves that it no longer stings. We need to realize their is no one worse to dissapoint then youself.

Yours in Speed,

Lee

PS: If you are looking for a quick Holiday gift, then visit http://www.sportsspeedetc.com/.
PPS: Do you need a get a great stocking stuffer, check out http://www.sportsspeedetc.com/agility_balls.shtml.

No comments: